Rollomatic's lean grinding process for rotary cutting tools
Rollomatic maintains its global leadership position in the field of multi-axis CNC grinding by spotlighting the new hybrid model GrindSmart 660XW for combination grinding of tool geometries as well as peel grinding for neck, plunge grinding or other pre-fluting or post-fluting operations.
The new GrindSmart 660XW is a 6-axis tool and peel grinding machine. It allows the user to utilize cost-effective and advanced lean manufacturing principles; termed as “Ultra-Lean Grinding Process”. The machine includes a 6-position wheel changer and linear motors on all axes.
- Workhead: It features a traveling high-speed workhead. Peel grinding for blank preparation and neck grinding are included in the same chucking. RPM is up to 3,000.
- Peel grinding: Blank preparation for common-shank rotary cutting tools, neck grinding for long-reach mold & die endmills and plunge grinding operations can be performed.
- Steady rest: This machine includes an innovative steady rest systems designed for grinding endmills as well as for drill point grinding.
- Spindle motor: The grinding spindle is synchronous and is rated 20 hp.
- Thermal stability and Cpk process capability index: The thermal stability is exceptionally good due to an innovative 6-axis design and double-skin coolant enclosure. Field tests have demonstrated an unusually high Cpk process capability index for any tool grinding machine.
- Grinding range: From micro-size range to 1/2” (12.7 mm).