Quaker Chemical, Houghton Int’l create Quaker Houghton

Quaker Chemical, Houghton Int’l create Quaker Houghton

Combined industrial metalworking process fluids companies employ 4,000 associates.

Subscribe

Quaker Chemical Corp. and Houghton International have combined to create Quaker Houghton, to supply industrial process fluids to the primary metals and metalworking markets.

Quaker Houghton is headquartered in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia.

The combination of Quaker Chemical and Houghton International nearly doubles the size of either company. The combined $1.6 billion revenue company employs 4,000 associates serving 15,000 customers worldwide. Quaker was founded in 1918 and Houghton in 1865.

“We are rooted in companies commonly acknowledged as authorities in industrial fluids and valued experts in customer processes,” said Michael F. Barry, chairman, CEO, and president of the new company. Barry previously served Quaker Chemical in similar capacities.

The company’s combined breadth of product and service offerings can be found in aerospace, aluminum, automotive, machinery, can manufacturing, industrial parts manufacturing, mining, offshore, steel, and tube and pipe industries.

Products the company offers include metal cutting and forming fluids, corrosion protection fluids, specialty hydraulic fluids, and steel and aluminum rolling oils. Legacy Houghton customers will benefit from Quaker’s strength in specialty greases, high-pressure die casting, mining specialties, surface treatment and bio-based lubricants, while legacy Quaker customers will now have access to Houghton’s heat treatment quenchants, offshore hydraulic fluids, metal finishing products, and a broader metal removal fluids portfolio.

To comply with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and European Commission requirements, the company divested product lines worth approximately 3% of the combined company’s revenue to the buyer, Total S.A.

Quaker Houghton’s management includes existing leaders from both legacy companies, with an 11-member Board of Directors, consisting of the eight directors from Quaker Chemical and three directors nominated by the Hinduja Group, former part owners of Houghton International.